Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Days 48-51

My spider bite infection thingy came back.  My foot swelled up again so I stayed off it while more antibiotics got some work done.  There really isn't a whole lot to Damascus.  A bunch of bike shops, a couple outfitters and some crappy restaurants.  My best meals came from Cowboys.  A gas station. 

This is Dave's Place.  I stayed here twice.   Too pricey at $21 a night.
          Sexy feet.
       The common room in The Place.
It's run by the Methodist church and up until a couple years ago, had a nasty reputation.  They started having a caretaker live there and run the show, so to speak.  They were having problems with theft and vandalism.  It wasn't hikers that was the problem, it was homeless travelers.  There is a difference.
There were signs with rules everywhere!  This was my favorite.  But for $6 donation, ill abide.  I stayed here three nights.  I spent most my time reading Michael Crichton's Eaters of the Dead and Voltaire's Candide.  I watched a lot of hikers come and go.  Most I passed a while ago.  I later passed them all again.  Not because I'm that fast. Oh no my friends.  Because they are that slow.  


No comments:

Post a Comment